Thursday, July 3, 2014

10 Things I know I know


There are so many things for me to say about my experience on the mission trip.  I have already talked about some of these things in my previous blog entries.  I mentioned in my comments on CE Sunday that none of us was sure what we were going to be doing during the week and how things were going to be.  I can say that even after experiencing the first day and hearing what other groups were experiencing, the same was true for the next day.  Now that we have been back for a few days and I've had to some time to reflect, I'm going to write a few things.   I have decided to borrow an idea from Peter King of Sports Illustrated.   I don't think he would be too mad to know that I'm borrowing and modifying it,  but I doubt he will ever find out so here goes.

10 things I know I know  

1.  My normal day job is really easy and I am extremely thankful for it.  This occurred to me when I was sweating my brains off in the kitchen at Turkey Chop.  (If you don't know what I'm talking about look for an earlier blog entry about what Turkey Chop is.)

2. I remain steadfast that deep dish pizza is the best kind of pizza.

3. Even when lugging the suitcase behind me I am a faster walker then all of our teenagers.  Not too shabby for a 38-year-old.

4.  As was pointed out by Tyrek last Wednesday night, our young adults have a wide range of opinions about things, and they all have an intense desire to take leadership and ownership.  (Sound familiar?). He described it as taking all different colors of paint and splattering them together on a canvas.  I think they are now well on their way to transform splattering into painting.

5. Although I appreciated having a peanut butter and jelly sandwich flashback, I'm glad to come back to reheated leftovers for lunch.

6. As some of you might know I have known Mark for more than half my life.  I'm glad I got the opportunity to get to know Nancy, Drew, and ET better.

7. Much like our church, this group of young people has a spirit of extravagant welcome.   Everybody, and I mean everybody is welcome, cherished, and needed.

8. Sleeping on the floor with a bunch of sweaty teenage boys makes me very thankful for my own bed.

9. It's so easy to judge people without even realizing that you are doing it.  

10. Immanuel made an investment in this mission trip, a significant one which was pointed out by William last Thursday night.  With all my heart I thank each and every one of you. I think our young people are going to yield a significant return on that investment.  They are all going to be important leaders in this church-leaders in worship, leaders in social justice, leaders in extravagant welcome, and leaders in listening and forgiveness.  I am confident that they are all in.  Now all of us need to ask ourselves, "are we?"

Peace and blessings, PJ


No comments:

Post a Comment