Thursday, July 17, 2014

Kyle's Reflection

Our mission trip to Chicago was an experience I'll never forget.  It was hard for me personally to see such good people living in such terrible conditions.  I am very thankful for the D.O.O.R. program because they gave me the opportunity to connect with the great city of Chicago and its people.  We met a man named Dan who might have been the nicest person I have ever met.  We thought what we were doing was hard but we only had to do it for a week.  However, Dan's mission was exactly the same as ours.  But he got up every single day with one goal in mind and that was to help improve his community.  I think if everyone did a fraction of the work that Dan did, this world would be a much better place.  I also really enjoyed talking to the people who lived there.  I was very surprised that just a simple hello caused them to smile and open up to you.  And everybody I talked to seemed like they genuinely appreciated just a simple greeting.  For me, the most fulfilling work was gardening outside the church where we were staying on Thursday.  I liked this job specifically because we actually knew who we were helping as opposed to some of the other work sites.  All in all, Chicago gave me memories that I will cherish forever and I genuinely believe that this trip has changed me as a person.  I also want to thank all of the chaperones for making this wonderful trip possible, specifically the ones in my group, Nancy and ET.

No comments:

Post a Comment